We were very happy to work with Nigel as he provided a flexible and high quality learning experience. He was able to tailor the training to our specific needs which proved to be a valuable and cost effective solution. We look forward to working with Nigel again in the future.” Flo Smith, National Trust Picture Library
Smartphone photography workshop
Today’s iPhones, Android or other brands of smartphones can produce high quality images if used with care and under optimum conditions.
In the ‘selfie help workshop’, students learn how to capture high quality images for print or online publication or for sharing on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
The workshop can also cover accessories to help improve the quality of portraits, still life and product shots or record video and audio for Youtube.
The workshop has been delivered as a 1:1 session or as part of a staff development days for employees at Microsoft or as leisure courses at the University of Bath, the Royal Photographic Society and Marcus Evans Linguarama.
If you are interested in learning how to get better pictures or video from your smartphone as a 1:1 or group activity, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Photography and video training services
As businesses make greater use of social media and other online platforms to promote their services and products there is an increasing need for photographic and video capture skills to be brought in-house. With a basic understanding of lighting, composition and camera operation it should be possible to produce good quality images and video using a digital camera or even a mobile device.
All training is planned around the needs of our clients and can include, chosing equipment, camera operation, photographing specific objects, portraiture, lighting, image preparation and image delivery.
Training is normally delivered on-site to individuals or small groups.
I am a qualified photography and video lecturer with over twenty years experience teaching at universities, colleges, and providing bespoke photography and video training for business, cultural heritage organisations and individuals.
Clients include the BBC, Cambridge University, The National Trust, The Royal Photographic Society, Highlight PR, Microsoft and Transco.
Nigel is a great tutor and has enabled me to advance my skills tenfold in just two and a half days. I would definitely recommend to any budding film makers. He’s equipped me with the competence and the confidence to go out and shoot. Kelly O’Connor, Kinneir Dufort
- Introduction to video (3 day course)
- Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom training
- Smartphone photography and video (1 hour talk to 3 hour practical workshop)
- Creating a media rich website for free!
- Video capture for business (filming testimonials, demonstrations, products etc)
- Photography introduction – improve your picture taking for personal and business use
- Advanced photography & lighting – producing high quality images for print and screen
- Digitisation, lighting, photography and scanning
- Producing high quality media with a mobile device (1-2 hour activity or 1 day workshop)
- Follow this link to a series of my free Photoshop video tutorials
Image digitisation service
Nigel developed tools to help us assess the imaging skills of candidates during an important recruitment to our digitisation unit. His work was excellent and delivered to very tight deadlines.”Grant Young, Head of Digital Content, Cambridge University Library.
For several years I worked for JISC Digital Media (formerly TASI) at the University of Bristol were I supported UK universities, museums and galleries in digitising their collections. I offer technical guidance and image digitisation services to museums, galleries, public bodies, artists and other organisations across the UK.
- Planning a digitisation project
- Technical guidance on image digitisation
- Flat original digitisation (scanning or photography)
- Glass plate negatives and magic lantern slide capture
- Three dimensional object capture (photography)
- Small objects e.g. coins, medals, jewelery, watches etc.